Who We Are
About The Links, Incorporated
The Links, Incorporated is an international, not-for-profit corporation, established in 1946 by a circle of nine friends in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built upon a legacy of friends and providing service that changes lives, the organization is one of the nation’s oldest and largest volunteer service organizations of extraordinary women who are committed to enriching, sustaining and ensuring the culture and economic survival of African Americans and other persons of African ancestry. The friendship chain has grown to more than 16,000 professional women of color in 288 chapters located in 41 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, and the United Kingdom. The legacy of friends providing service that changes lives, established by the original circle of nine friends in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1946, is alive and well.
The key programming initiatives of The Links, Incorporated are organized into five facets: Services to Youth, The Arts, National Trends and Services, International Trends and Services, and Health and Human Services. The programs are implemented through strategies such as public information and education, economic development, and public policy campaigns.
For more information on The Links, Incorporated, go to www.linksinc.org.
The idea of the Piedmont Chapter of The Links. Inc. (formerly the Tri-County Service League) had its beginning September 24, 1979 at the home of Janice Hammond. Margaret Wilson and Hazel Russell joined in to discuss the possibilities of organizing a chapter of The Links, Incorporated.
The three drafted a letter inquiring about the steps to take in organizing a chapter. This letter was mailed to Mrs. Julia Purnell, President of The Links, Incorporated in October 1979. In response, a letter of instructions on how to organize a chapter was received from the National Headquarters.
They met again on April 30, 1980 with an expanded group that included Marie Fuller, Marie Hamilton, Janice Hammond, Ruth McDowell, Estelle Miller, Marguerite Pass, Hazel Russell, and Margaret Wilson. These women, along with Mildred Sadler and Anne Miller, became the Steering Committee for establishing a chapter of The Links, Incorporated.
On June 7, 1980, the Steering Committee met and drafted a letter to The Links, Incorporated, which included the geographical area to serve, the economic and cultural resources, and the name was changed to Piedmont NC Service League.
The Piedmont NC Service league became the Piedmont Chapter of The Links, Incorporated and was chartered on May 1, 1982.
Our Chapter Leadership
Shawyna Gore, President
Maya Feemster-Jones, Vice President of Membership
Robin Smith, Treasuer
Angela Gravely Harris, Financial Secretary
Renee Davis, Recording Secretary
Diedre Pippins, Corresponding Secretary
Pia Hill Foard
Angela Gravely Harris
Pam Hart Hemphill
Monica Howard Alexander
Sidney Logan Echevarria